Wednesday, August 8, 2007

VOHRH - silk aquisition & Needlepoint Stockings

Only a little stitching on Serenity border last night, I must of fallen asleep three times with needle in hand before I put it down and went to bed. Some nights it just doesn't pay to to try and sit up. I really was trying to see the TCM Jane Russell day movie feature of "Macao." A movie I really wanted to see, but alas it was not to be. Today is Dana Andrews day and one of the better 40's movies is coming on tonight "The Best Years of Our Lives." An MGM movie about returning warriors from WWII and the problems they face adjusting back into society. If you have not seen it then you should give it a chance. It did win the Best Picture of 1946, and you know that the Academy never makes a mistake with their awards?!?! :)

Back to the VOHRH, I have begun to collect the silks needed for this really BAP as to get them all at once would really dent the budget. My first installment from Drema at Needlecraft Corner ( isn't she just the bestest!!!!! really nice and the quickest service and attention!!!!!) came the other day and here is a glamorous picture of the silk skeins......


I am sending off the next order for silk in a day or so.

I do not remember if I have ever said but I also enjoy working needlepoint projects. The last things I finished were a couple of stockings for my niece and nephew. I began working on them a few years ago and they became WIP/UFO and I finally finished the needlepoint part of them a couple of months back. Well here it is August and Christmas is fast approaching and I really need to get the backing and cording so today I will make a trek to Britex downtown after work to get the needed materials. I will need to get red felt for the lining and some really nice silky brocade for the backing along with some sort of shiny christmasy cording to go around. Britex is a four story building packed with tons of fabric and accoutrement of sewing stuff. They have a web site if you are interested in seeing the stuff they carry at Britex.com. Here a a couple of snaps of the needlepoint tops....



I am thinking that I will try and match the pale blue for Katie's and the darker blue for Mathew's for the backing, but if I see something better I might go with something else.

That's it for today, thanks for stopping by and all the nice comments!!!!!! As always leave a comment if you have the time as I always like to know what you are thinking about!!!!

Take care,
edgar

6 comments:

  1. Drema is the best! I bought my silk one month at a time for my Village and I plan on doing the same for the Houses. And Drema has them on sale right now. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Drema is such a lovely, sweet lady isn't she, Edgar? I love ordering from her and do so at least once a month, if not more! ;-)

    I've been so wanting to order VoHRH and HoHRH and the silks... Will have to soon as I'm just itching to stitch both of them. I ordered A Most Noble Pursuit a wee while back from Drema and I'm getting the silks one square at a time... I was planning on starting it back in June, but no time as yet! Hopefully, maybe next month...

    Love your Needlepoint Stockings... Hope you found some fabby you liked for finishing... Can't wait to see them... :-)

    I'll be sending my RR out in a few days... Still stitching like a mad-woman... I had to frog the entire border and the house as I was about an inch and a half off centre... don't know how on Earth I managed that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty stockings. Hope you start VoHRH soon, I'm almost finished mine ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Britex is fabulous, but they used to have a much larger remnants section and much bigger sales Have you been to Discount Fabric at 4th and Bryant? They carry a LOT of brocade and other home dec fabric at pretty good (but not great) prices. I would stop there for the backing, but still go to Britex for the cording. I

    http://discountfabrics.liveonatt.com/locations.nxg

    have all the kit for a large needlepoint stocking, but my needlepoint work is mostly in the smaller sizes these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your stockings look great! I quilted all of us a stocking a couple of years ago! I've yet to try silk, have a Shepherds Bush kit to try.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to buy VOHRH but it's just too expensive with all the silks for me to justify it at the moment...one day ;)
    Love the needlepoint stockings

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...