Thursday, April 16, 2009

Ahhhh Thursday......

Only one more day until the weekend!!! Whoop de doo!!! I am certainly feeling it this day and want this week over - just wishing my life away I guess....

Last night we ran out to the Mall - my nephews Birthday is next week and I needed to get a present for him and get it out today - I f there was going to be any chance on it making it by the actual day - I just don't know what happened as I have all the Birthdays on the calendar - just to much procrastination. Oh well, it is packed up and will go out this morning.

You are so right Deb - "All About Eve" - 1950 - called by some "the bitchiest movie ever made" (I love that tag line BTW) - Those two actresses were considered for the Margo role - but the list actually got down to 4 - Claudette Colbert, Susan Hayward, Marlene Dietrich and Gertrude Lawrence. Then Marlene and Gertrude where hacked off the list - I am not sure what Marlene went on to do but Gertrude went on to the play in the first run of "The King and I". This was her last role as she died of cancer a year into the run of the play. Claudette finally accepted the role but couldn't start right away - she was finishing up "Three Came Home" - 1950 - the reason she didn't play Margo is that during some of the final filming - a scene of a brutal rape that she was doing the director wanted it to be as realistic as possible - so - she literally gave her all and ruptured a disc that put her into the hospital missing out playing Margo - think about what a different kind of film this would have been if she hadn't been hurt - it certainly would have been much less intense!!! There is a great behind the scenes book about the making of the movie -

I think it is OOP - but still can be gotten on Amazon.

Not much stitching last night - but some I did get some stash neatened up and put away.

The flickers last night were really fun - I missed "Double Indemnity" as we where out shopping - but got home in time to see "Swing Time" - 1936 - a super Fred and Ginger movie!!! This I followed up with "The Master of Ballantrae" - 1953 - a real adventure swashbuckler starring Errol Flynn - who by the time this flick was made was a bit long in the tooth for the role - but still a great film!!

Thanks for stopping by!!!!!

Take care -
edgar

2 comments:

  1. When I read that you actually shop for family birthday gifts and even actually mail them, I thought, "Ah, what a good person he is!" :) So, don't worry if you're running a but close to the wire!

    I actually haven't seen any of the movies you mention...MAYBE The Fred & Ginger with my Grandmother when little, but I must not have been paying attention as I'm not sure! Should see again! The most recent movie that I saw was earlier in the week-- and animation (thinking you are not much into them as I haven't seen you mention any), "Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea", Miyazaki of Studio Ghibli's latest. Fans of this guy will like it (true fans who have seen his work from the 80's, but somehow I can't recommend it to someone who isn't already into it. A real throwback to "Totoro", yet not as good as that esteemed work by a long shot. If I were to recommend, I'd advise "Mimi wo Sumaseba (If You Listen Closely) aka "Whisper of the Heart". Or, the more common "Kiki's Delivery Service" (Doesn't that one sound like, well, not a children's film? ;) but for you personally, the film I would wish for you to see would be "Only Yesterday". I saw it for the first time within the last year, and was amazed that I could now relate to "both" of the main characters (A 27 year old office lady meets with her 5th grade self through stronger and stronger remembrances during a countryside vacation.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm surprised I got that right - like I said sometimes I tend to forget things. Although I didn't quite know how long the list was of possibles. And I've read the book - quite a few years ago - our library had a copy of it. I think I need to watch it again soon.

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...