Thursday, July 23, 2009

Marketing in SF's Civic Center

I did get over to the farmers market yesterday and as always it was quite an adventure. It was packed full of truck farmers and people milling about. One of the really nice things about Farmers markets is that you can get was is at the top of the season. In a super market you can get everything no matter what time of year it is - almost everything is available - since something is growing somewhere all the time - this is a good and bad thing. Good - in that we can get just about anything we want - bad - in that who knows how long ago it was harvested and where it has been stored and what gasses/waxes/and radiation the veggies and fruits have been exposed to. Enough of that downer stuff....

I really loved this snap...

Those radishes in the front are just beautiful!!

And here is a snap of...

....gorgeous cabbages and other veggies. This was a total fluke shot. There were so many people in front of this stand I thought I would never get it. But, all of a sudden they parted and I got the snap.


Then there is this guy...

who sells the most wonderful mushrooms!!

And finally what I went over for...


...some beautiful fruit. I picked up some peaches, two kinds of plums and some lemons.

I tried to get some snaps of the fish guy and the chicken guy but the fish guy and his harridan of a wife just about lost their minds when they say my little camera. The chicken guy was packed up and driving off by the time I made to his end of the market - so those "interesting" shots will have to wait until another day!! So if you are ever in SF and it's Wednesday trot yourself over to the Civic Center area and check out the Farmers Market.

Thanks for stopping by!!

Tale care,
edgar

11 comments:

  1. Nice new vocab word for me "harridan". And so fitting for me too. :)
    I want to go to the farmers market in sf. I never thought it would be so much bigger than the markets here in the east bay.
    I would have spent all my money on fruit and no veggies! Wait I do that all of the time.
    Looks like you had fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is just amazing. I have never seen so many fruits and veggies in one place. What fun it would be to shop there.
    Have been to SF once but the market was never mentioned.
    What a fun time

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures. I absolutly love the Farmers Market.I got the last round of asparagus for the season on Sunday roasted them with some sweet onions and cauliflower EVOO salt pepper, that was my dinner Sunday night. I have yet to go to the one in the city, but would like to soon

    I think I will take my camerea on Sunday and take some snaps...We have a dairy family they are supper sweet
    Take Care

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all looks beautiful, so much variety. I don't even like radishes but those looked good. And shelling peas just sounds like a fun project, it's been so long since I have done that. I may check out our local farmers market. Although it may be over for the summer after the horrible heat wave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think there's some naughty nursery rhyme about a fish-monger's wife. The one you describe seems to fit the bill. Don't you just hate it when some rotten crab ruins an otherwise lovely day? So what's the national security breech in photographing dead fish these days?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am hungry just looking at these pictures! You are right - there is nothing like fresh produce...nothin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I grew up in MI and one of my favorite memories is going to the Farmer's Market in the summer with my mother and dad:) I can still smell all the fresh veggies, fruits, cantalopes and sweet corn and potatoes! It was all under a block long covered roof so you could go rain or shine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wonderful assortment of veggies and fruit. you are so fortunate to be able to go there. enjoy!!

    Melody

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely photos - such a delight of colour and textures. I shop regularly at a local market, but always early in the morning on the way to work - such a rush. Thank you for sharing your experience

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow what beautiful pictures of produce. They look so yummy. We have a small farmers market near us but nothing like that. Lucky you! Now I have to go make myself a salad. LOL xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, everything looks so tasty and wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...