Friday, March 12, 2010

SF Snaps and Some Sweet Mail

GR&DF I am so happy that you enjoyed the snaps of the Mission and our expedition to the Bakery and Fruit Seller. That spiky thing might by a chayote, but I have never seen one covered in prickly spines. There was a whole bin of chayote on the other side of the stall so I would doubt they where. I have seen chayote up close and personnel - my DGM grew them on a fence at her house in Florida. In fact those that grew on said fence where realy just volunteers and she used to have to rip up the multitudinous runners and vines as it grows like kudzu - but the fruit/veg of the chayote is pretty tasty.

Yesterday on the way home I wanted to stop in the Castro to pick up a couple of little things for my upcoming Easter Exchange - that will go out on Monday even if it "hair-lips every dog in Georgia." That was a saying my DGF used to say - and of course I had my camera for some snaps of the grand old "Castro" Theatre from which the neighborhood takes it name. Originally this area was, and to many San Franciscans it is still, called Eureka Valley, but to many it is just the Castro. Here are some snaps...

The front of the Theatre - you can also see a store called Hot Cookie - a pretty good spot for cookies - and when they are hot they are wonderful... but watch out for the older ones as they tend to stiffen up and be inedible....

]
Here is the ticket booth at the Castro with all the original tiles and a fresh paint job. This is one wonderful old Theatre to see a film in - it really takes one back to a by gone era.


and here is one wall where the upcoming film posters are plastered. It is a wonderful theatre and if you ever get the chance to visit SF you should try and get here to see a flicker.

The mail brought a sweet treat......


My copy of BBD Honeysuckle Manor - and man oh man do I want to start one of these babies!! This booklet includes the two really sweet little samplers - I would need to switch up a colour or two - maybe to make it mine - but what a great little booklet. Once again those gals have put out something wonderful. Speaking of these two wonderful designers - The Silver Needle in Tulsa OK is hosting a two day workshop with Barb and Alma of BBD - how super wonderful is that!!! It is July 16th and 17th and sounds like a great time - and I would love to go, but just can't wangle the time or the funions - oh well it is probably better that I don't since my love of BBD verges on the stalker level I should probably stay away!! I would think this would be really popular so if you have the inclination I would sign up sooner than later.

There you go sports fans - thank you once again for your kind comments, questions and general goodwill - I do appreciate it!! Have a great weekend and do stop by again next week for more adventures in stitching and SF!!

Take care,
edgar

15 comments:

  1. Another day of wonderful SF pics - thank you. You make me want to visit your beautiful city again - maybe one day. Have a lovely stitchy weekend!
    [[[hugs]]]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures as always ! The Silver Needle is a great shop. Nan Caldera of "Just Nan" used to work there before she got her start, did you know that ? I just know you are wanting to start HM so bad you can taste it! A fellow addict can tell these things! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are haunted by Kudzu in our area of the south. In the winter time when it dies back, we have kudzu graveyards! lol. I loved all the wonderful SF pictures! It's fun to see where friends live!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love BBD too and I am going to be able to go to the Silver Needle for the fun weekend in July. I've gone for several years now and it is an absolutely wonderful experience that Silver Needle provides. Top notch!!! Too bad you won't be able to make it. Maybe next time.

    Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing more wonderful pics!

    Oh how I wish I could to to that function in July!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love old theaters! I agree -- seeing a movie in an old theater is a special treat! Thanks for the pics! I agree on being a BBD stalker too. I'm a definite on that one! lol! I wish I could go to the Silver Needle event, but like you, there are no funds available. Ah well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all your pics! Now I am craving cookies.... I am going in July to the Silver Needle-got my reservation this morning...Can't wait! One of my favorite shops and BBD is also a fav!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well don't know about what it is but it looks like a cactus arm/leaf whatever you want to call them stickly pointy out things on a cactus body.
    Loved the pics of SF. cookies looked good enough to eat.
    Glad you like the fabric you're stitching Easter on.
    Happy Stitching Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for showing the back of the BBD Book. I've seen bits of the samplers here and there but the back page really shows off those two pieces well. I have been waiting ever so patiently. Even though I'd pre-ordered you'd think I live on the moon, I'd lucky if I get it end of next week!

    Anyways, thanks for showing them and I want to stitch them too. I'd be interested in what colour changes you make Edgar!

    Thanks for the photos of SF! Have a wonderful weekend and happy trawling through the tag sales!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Edgar, wish you were going to the Silver Needle in July! Michele and I are both going. would be a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful theatre!! And great mail! I need to put that book on my wish list. Thanks for the sneak peek!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you should be voted Ambassador for the city of San Francisco. You have helped us all see the most beautiful place with all your lovely photos. I visited there several years ago and wish you had been my tour guide. I barely scratched the surface.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love those theater snaps! Though I hail from Tulsa (and lived there the first 20+ years of my life) I didn't get into cross stitch until after moving away and I've never been to the Silver Needle!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Edgar I am thinking that the prickly fruit might be catus!!

    Love the SF pictures and the bakery looks yummy!

    Honeysuckle Manor is just a wonderful booklet, I agree -not sure what I want to stitch first!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love seeing your SF pics. We were there a couple of years ago and I absolutely loved it! The Castro looks like a great place to see a film.It's nice to see landmarks like this being well cared for. Nancy

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...