Thursday, August 19, 2010

Almost the Weekend

Gentle Readers and Dear Friends from the post title you can see where my mind is focused this cool Thursday morning. Thank you for your comments - Maggee mentioned another film of Margaret O'Brien's - "Our Vines Have Tender Grapes" - 1945 - a sweet film with so solid performances I have seen many times. Catherine wanted to know where I found the picture of Gene Tireney - as with most of the film snaps I Post I just dig around on the Internet until I find a picture I like - that's probably not the most scientific way of doing things, but for my feeble brain it works. :) - and - Jeanne mentioned one of songs from "Meet me in St Louis" - Have yourself a Merry little Christmas - a true signature song from Judy Garland repertoire that is really sweet and wraps up the whole movie -

A bit more movie stuff.... yesterday on TCM the star of the day was ....

Ann Sheridan - 1915-1967

You can see why Warner Brothers nicknamed her the "Oomph Girl" - a nickname she totally despised!! I caught a couple of her films - both of them made in the same year and at the same time. You have to give credit to the studio system and those hard working actors - to work on two pictures with completely different stories a moods at the same time was a real test of skill. The first picture was "Kings Row" - 1942 - starring along with Sheridan was Ronald Regan, Robert Cummings, Betty Field, Claude Rains, Judith Anderson and Charles Coburn. A classic from the golden age of film with superior performances. The second film of the evening was "The Man Who Came to Dinner" -1942 - starring Monty Woolly, Bette Davis and Billie Burke. A super comedy that never slows down. I have seen this film many times and always enjoy it!! Both films a wonderful and should be seen.

Yesterday was my weekly trip to the Farmers Market and once again I bring you a couple of snaps of some super summer produce....

some great looking corn....

and a pile of lovely peppers.... and a shot of City Hall...

it was a lovely day with the temps almost to 70, great breeze and lots of wispy clouds....

Still stitching away on exchanges.

There you go sports fans. Thanks for stopping by! Do come again.

Take care,
edgar

2 comments:

  1. More great pics of the market! The corn looks wonderful. We've had some really good corn this summer and always hate to see it end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also watched "The Man Who Came to Dinner" last night. I absolutely loved it! I'm sure the actors/actresses of "our" day work VERY hard (especially with all the high-tech stunts that might not have been possible "back in the day"), but I think those "studio contract actors" had it pretty tough...from the biographies I've read, the studio heads kept them on pretty short leashes.
    I'm waiting (not so patiently) to see your lovely exhange pics - be sure to show us just as "soon" as you "can"!!! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...