Monday, March 7, 2011

A Super Estate Sale Weekend

Gentle Readers and Dear Friends it is a blustery Monday morning here in the City by the Bay.  Our weekend weather was just odd....  Saturday was a gorgeous sunny and almost warm day.  We had the house open most of the afternoon - perfect for running around to estate sales and such. Then Sunday was completely overcast, cold and raining all day.  When that pushed through yesterday evening we go lots of cold winds that are supposed to be here through the day.  It feels like a crisp Fall day.  I would guess its March coming in like a lion.... we'll see if it leaves like a lamb.
__________
We started off the weekend going out to dinner with a friend for his birthday to Olive Garden.  We waited for almost 45 mins for a table.  By the time we were sat customers where being told that the wait had gotten to and hour+ wait.  The meal and company were a great way to start off the two days.
__________

Saturday we do our grocery shopping for the week and this past Saturday was no different.  We drove over to the Potrero Hill Safeway - there's a Noah's bagel place next door so we had a bite to eat there first.   i do love an asiago "bagel mit."   They have a few tables for outdoor seating - since the weather was so pretty we sat outside. It was really nice to see all the little sparrows hopping around for crumbs.  You are not supposed to feed the birds, but I'm a sucker for a cute bird and so I was dropping little crumbs about.  Some of the birds where pretty brazen and started to hop on the table and on my leg and on my arm.......  It was then we knew it was time to go get up and get the shopping done. 

After getting that done we started our rounds of the sales.  I had mapped out the Estate sales I wanted to get to - so the plan of attack in full swing by 10am.  At two of the sales I found some great pieces I wanted, but the prices where on the high side so I didn't get anything, but knew that coming back around on Sunday the prices get slashed and we could certainly stop back in the morning - to see where the prices had fallen to and if the things I wanted had been sold or where waiting to go home with me.  I always shop with the attitude that "if it is still there then it was meant to be, if not then those are the breaks."
__________

Here is a little something you don't know about us.  We cat sit quite a lot for neighbor's in our building.  We love doing it and know that they would do the same for us if we needed the who hounds to be taken care of.  Over this past Christmas and into the New Year we took care of the neighbor's kitty's while they where on vacation in South America.  They wanted to take us out to dinner to thank us and so Saturday evening they took us to "The Front Porch."  A great little place that does great food with a Southern slant.  I had a gator po'boy that was super tasty!!
__________

Back to the weekend shopping
__________

Sunday morning, like I said before, was completely overcast grey and raining.  We went to early Mass and then on to breakfast at Eddie's.  After stopping off at the little farmers market we were then off to check out the Estate sales from the previous day.......

I walked into the first one and still on the mantle was this lovely thing....


I couldn't believe it was still there.  This great old sampler in a beautiful old frame was something I really wanted, but the price was pretty steep the day before.  Now with it being the last day of the sale AND the weather being so bad the price had fallen to where I could afford it.  A really nice thing about this sampler is there is a hand written card on the back with its provenance... "Embroidered in Sweden in 1891 by Matilda Stromvall (Peterson) 13 years old  Eleanor's mother."  I love knowing something about the history of the piece, but find it very sad that no family member thought enough of it to keep it or that the family is completely gone and there was no body left who cared.   It now hangs in my house and will for many years to come.  It is very similar to the Pauline Schawrtz SAL that is going on right now, a bit smaller but stylistically very similar.

I also picked up these pieces....

The beautiful transferware plates came from the same Estate as the sampler and had little cards with their provenance....  "1886 Eli's parents wedding" - the date is right for the pieces and they are in perfect condition.  The Hallowe'en mug and frog came from a thrift shop - I do love me some Hallowe'en!!  and I know there is always a need for another frog!
__________

We also stopped and another Estate sale where I had passed on a couple of things the day before.  Once again the fates where with me and I picked up these two beauties.......


Two more pieces of Belleek!!  Both of these are marked with the Second green mark and date to between 1955 - 65. Both of these will also go into my March Gift a-Way - so that means that there will be three winners of Belleek. When we stopped off on Saturday I only saw one piece.  But, when we came back on Sunday I found the second - I am really happy to be able to have three winners.  If you haven't thrown in for the Drawing then click HERE and post a comment.  You have to enter to win - and anyone anywhere can win - do make sure I can get in touch with you by email - The drawing will be March 17th , St Patrick's Day, and I will announce the winner on Friday March 18th.
__________
That's about it for today sport's fans.  Thanks for stopping by and for your kind comments!! Do come again.

Take care,
edgar

26 comments:

  1. OMG Edgar, what a find in that sampler! I agree that it's sad that no one in the family held on to it (or that no one is left), but it has found a great home with you!!

    Dare I suggest that you chart it? You could sell the design as a reproduction. Yes, you should totally chart that sucker!! (**ducking for cover**)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous find you have in that sampler!
    I am a sucker for anything with cats on it!
    Great estate sale finds! I can't wait until the yard sale season starts around here. I am suffering from withdrawal after this long winter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you had a most successful weekend - that sampler is darling, and I love the transferware plates!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sure had great luck at the sales over the weekend! The sampler was a fabulous find!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for rescuing that sampler. I love the little cat on it. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As usual you found great stuff! That sampler is a beauty, and how wonderful to know its provenance.

    I love Olive Garden! The best salad ever. I already have this week's menus planned, but next week we are going to have us some capellini pomodoro!

    Funny, our weather on the East side of the country was a lot like yours.... beautiful sunny Saturday and wet, dismal Sunday. The wind howled all night and it is still blowing today too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great weekend, Edgar! Awesome finds at your sales - especially the sampler! A stitchers dream, to be sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that sampler! The frame is gorgeous too! Fantastic! And more Belleek -- wow! You are a generous soul! I love that you cat sit. Nice that you got to go out for a treat like that too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow what a wonderful find, what a beautiful sampler and that frame is JUST lovely. I know it will be treasured in your home :)

    WooHooo on all of your great finds. Have a beautiful day!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What great finds again!I love it when you show us your estate finds.AriadnefromGreece!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terrific finds! Too bad the sampler was abandoned but how lucky for you too find it. I've been curious about The Front Porch so good to know it's yummy. I'll have to try it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. SCORE!!!!
    that's a fantabulicious sampler! AWESOME and no one better to be it's owner than you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your sampler find is amazing! I am so glad that it was there, still waiting for you on the mantle! It has found a very good home and someone who will cherish it as it deserves to be cherished!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! That sampler. What a find. I am glad you have been able to give it a home.
    I love that she put Tilda on the sampler. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You really had a busy full weekend. I too do most of my grocery shopping and errands on Saturday. Like you I can't believe a family member or decendent didn't want to keep the sampler. how sad that it. but I am glad that it found a good home with someone who can appreciate it.
    Oh and more Beleek. Woo Hoooooo. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful sampler you found! Lovely. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like you and rico had a wonderful week-end! Love the sampler and the Belleck. We do not have great sales like that around here.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Edgar, I'm so glad you were able to rescue that beautiful sampler. If there was no relative to keep it at least it is with someone who will truly appreciate it. Hey, Maybe you should chart it! Love the little kitty on the bottom.What a successful weekend at the sales! Nancy D.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sweet! So being a Swede, I can tell you that the name on the sampler is definitely Swedish - she even kept the dots over Stromvall (which loosely translated means "stream wall" or "stream wave"). What is even more interesting is that she then embroidered the English alphabet; she omitted the last three letters in the Swedish alphabet. Also, the letter w is not commonly used in Swedish. All of this really makes me wonder about the history behind your beautiful find!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like you had a great weekend. You guys must regularly get up at the crack of dawn. Congratulations on getting the sampler. Don't you wonder about Matilda and Elinor? How nice that you found more Belleek among the treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The sampler is just gorgeous, you were obviously meant to have it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It sounds like you had the perfect weekend Edgar! Such gorgeous estate sale finds! Don't you just love the sweet little sampler, and the plates and pieces with the shamrocks are so beautiful! I can't wait for estate sales to start where we are. They make Saturdays so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow what a graet few finds, that sampler is fantastic...enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Absolutely love the sampler - you had a great weekend and found some beautiful pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Edgar: Matilda Stromvall (Peterson) is my grandmother; please enjoy her work and may the sampler bring you happiness.

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...