Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Some Weekend Thrifting

Gentle Friends since I was a total scatter brain this morning and left the coffee cake recipe on the counter at home, I will skip talking about that today and talk about Saturday thrifting instead.  I hit the usual spots and a couple of Estate sales and came away with some fun junque.....


In a single snap you can see some of the things I am totally interested in...  if there had been a movie something and some sort of stitching it would be a complete picture of "edgar interests".......  but we can't have everything can we!!  

Starting from the left..  I found this great silver basket, beautifully hand cut and engraved, a super piece made in Schwabish Gmund, Germany by Gebruder Kuhn ca. 1890-1910 at a Goodwill store -  The marks a clear as day and they didn't have a clue where it came from or the silver content..... along with the basket I found the silver salver/tray (a Golf trophy from 1956), they were both filthy black with tarnish, and now after a bit of elbow grease, they are just beautiful again.  I also picked up there the two late 19th century Gorham salt cellars (again filthy with tarnish) 
- so it was a good silver day at the Goodwill's!! 

 The Moche frog stirrup pot I picked up at an estate sale.  I almost missed it -  and here's a short story to go along with it.... another buyer had her grubby hands all over it and just wouldn't make up her mind to either buy it or not - I just hate that.  She kept asking Bill ( the guy who was running the sale, and an acquaintance of ours) all about it, when he wasn't as forth coming as she wanted with info - she then started to gripe about the price - I know she didn't have a clue about it or what it is - and the minute she put it down into the case by Ernie (one of the Bill's helpers) I snatched it right up.  It is a super example of a Moche stirrup pot, a total repro, but so well done and not a flake or chip or nick anywhere it was so worth the pittance they were asking!!   In fact Peru, the ancient home of the Mochica and Chimu civilizations is on my bucket list of places I want to visit one day!!   The little duck ocarina was another estate sale find, raku fired it is in great condition and still plays - I am just fascinated by ancient Latin America cultures - and the museum I worked in in Florida (The Appleton Museum in Ocala) had a great collection of things from meso and south America I really enjoyed.

  And, last in the haul is a pretty extensive biography of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, a couple - one royal and one not so royal - I have always been interested in reading everything I can about them and their lives - this was a super thrift store find.

That's about it for today sports fans, thanks again for stopping by, do stop again!

Take care,
edgar

10 comments:

  1. Hi Egdar-
    I have that biography as well- Charles JV was my father's half-brother. My dad had lots of second-hand stories of his exploits- his relationship with the Windsors, as well as Charles' participation on Admiral Byrd's expedition to Antarctica. CJVM ghost-wrote "Alone" by Adm.Byrd. My dad talked via ham radio to CJVM while he was "at the South Pole". Mini-celebrity of his time!
    The Windors remained friendly with CJVM after the writing of the bio. I believe there may be another book he did re: the Windsors , or maybe just Wallis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the frog stirrup pot. I love it because I just love frogs and toads. I don't know what a stirrup pot is. Could you tell me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea what that frog thing was....I had to look it up. Nice to learn something new. Funny that you picked up a a salver, that was my husbands new discovery yesterday. He had no idea....funnier still he was watching a John wayne movie yesterday...and the Duke said silver salver...hahaha..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen stirrup pots or jars in Greek museums but I didn't know about Peruvian ones. Thanks of the info.AriadnefromGreece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the stirrup pot. I love things from Peru (or reproductions). I was born there, so they kinda have a special place in my heart. It cheered me to see this on your blog today.

    And...lovely silver basket too. Wish I could get that lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You got some really interesting stuff on your adventures this weekend. That frog was the first thing that caught my eye. I have never seen one of those. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great shopping. I love the silver things you found!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great finds! So interesting about the stirrup pot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Truly great finds! Glad you were the one who ended up with the Moche frog : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. I, too, had to google stirrup pot. Since yours is relatively small, do you think it was meant to hold oil or wine? I am guessing oil. Maybe even a scented oil for anointing the body. My imagination is running rampant creating scenes in which the inspiration for your find might have been used. Some of the imagined scenarios are not appropriate to mention on a civilized blog like your own. Oh well, educators do go a little bonkers as we near the end of a school year. And the children think they are the ones longing for summer break! Oh, how little do they know!

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...