Monday, July 14, 2014

Vive la France! La Fête Nationale

Gentle Friends, today we should celebrate with France, what is commonly called in the US "Bastille Day."  It celebrates the storming of the Bastille in 1789, the beginning of the end for the French Monarchy. Illustrated here in a vintage print......

__________

France's national anthem Le Marseillaise, was written in 1792 and adopted as the national anthem in 1795 is one of the more moving national anthems around..... one of the versions that made a real impression on me was sung by one of the great sopranos of our time, Jessye Norman, in 1989 at the 200th Anniversary Celebrations of the French Revolution.  

 She was wrapped in a flowing gown'cape/cloak of the Tricolour  - here's a You Tube of the event at the Place de la Concorde......


...... and here's another super version of the anthem from the movies.....

____________

As a side note my camera broke last Thursday and I am trying to use an older one I had, but with little luck.  I ordered a new camera last Thursday evening and it should arrive tomorrow, so my snaps may suck for a while until I get the hang of not only and old camera but a new camera.

That's about it for today sports fans, thanks for stopping by do stop again!!

Take care,
edgar

7 comments:

  1. I am red bloodied American, through and through...but hearing the French Anthem stirs a patriotic emotion. I will bet most people who watch Casablanca have a tear in their eye too.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The singing of the French anthem is one of my favorite scenes from Casablanca.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just got back from the fireworks. The military parade this morning was also pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about your camera -- bummer. I always remember Bastille Day. Been reading various novels set during the period and all. Fascinating stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Bastille day to you! I have read several books about the life of Marie Antoinette. Very interesting. So sorry about the camera!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so nice to read all about it.
    Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's also my anniversary. We had to pick a suitably revolutionary holiday! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...