Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Eating at "Old Jeruselum"

Gentle Friends...  here on a local PBS Station, KQED, we have a show called "Check Please."  It's a show that's is hosted by the ever delightful Leslie Sbrocco where each week three guests eat at each others favorite restaurants and then come on the show and critique them.  We never miss the show and watch the reruns all the time when the come on.  Last week we caught a show from last year that included a restaurant called "Old Jerusalem."  The crazy thing about this place is I pass it every day going and coming from work.  It's in the heart of the Mission on Mission street at 26th Street.  After seeing the show I was determined that we would eat there over the weekend........  so Saturday night we headed there  - it's like 5 minutes from home so easy peasy getting there, parking was kind of tight but we found a spot pretty quickly.......

.... it's a really skinny restaurant squeezed between a hair extension place and something closed down.....


... you can see how narrow it is (that's Rico's elbow)...  when we got there we got sat right away.   I had read on Yelp that this place was hopping on weekend nights....  so we went early about 5:15pm.  By the time we had finished it had crowded up and there was a line waiting to get in.

...  the menu is great in that each thing has a picture, so if you have no idea what to get you can sort of figure it out from the snaps.....




.....with in about 2 minutes of sitting down they brought us these starter treats to munch on....  warm house made pita bread with a green spread - very herby and yogurt based lightly spicy and a red spread - roasted peppers and on the spicy side, nice olives and a pickled vegetable....

... Rico got a wrap chicken shawerma sandwich that was very good......

...I remembered from the show and from reading revues on line, so I knew that they made very good hummus and I wanted some of that - I got #13 - and yes, the hummus was probably the best I ever had, and I've had lots.  I also knew I wanted a Stuffed Falafel, the #18 .......


... I had never heard of a stuffed falafel, and this was simply delicious!!!!  It's stuffed with roasted onion, roasted pine nuts and sumac - really, this falafel makes regular felafel's pale in comparison!!!

..... one thing we both wanted to try was a dessert thing... and we never get dessert when we go out...it's called Kanafeh, a special Levantine goat cheese pastry soaked in sweet syrup.  Old Jerusalem is the only place in SF that makes this specialty and let me tell you - it was to die for.  
It's served warm and was just so damn good!!!!
.... we both thoroughly enjoyed this place, the servers were super nice, the pacing of the dishes was way off, but with the food being so good who cares.  We WILL be back!!
______________________

That about wraps it up for today sports fans, thanks for stopping by do stop again!!

Take care,
edgar

10 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! We have a favorite lunch place in the Chicago suburb of Lombard, near us, called the Jerusalem Cafe, similar menu. Your post makes me want to go there in the next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That food looks amazing! How do you avoid eating out every night with so many wonderful restaurants near by?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a wonderful sense of adventure. Food looks delicious and my taste buds are working overtime

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, man. I love hummus!! I eat it with everything and anything. Yours sure looked good! When I looked at the menu before scrolling down to what you got I would have picked #13 too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! That looks positively delicious. I'm so hungry right now I nearly licked the screen ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks soooooo good! It reminds me a little of La Mediterranee in Berkeley. That was a definite stop for us while our son was going to Cal.
    Cathy
    CraftyCat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummo,Edgar you ordered what I would have ordered LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a fun place! I love your posts on things in SF!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A feast for the eyes your lovely food.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh delicious, I love kanafeh and all its Turkish (kunefe)and Greek (kadaifi)versions!AriadnefromGreece1

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...