Wednesday, February 24, 2016

The "Dutch" Windmill in Golden Gate Park

Gentle Friends, every year we try an get down to the far western end of GG Park and make a visit to the Northern or "Dutch Windmill" (1903) and Queen Wilhelmina Tulip Gardens - there are actually two windmills originally put there to pump water into the park for irrigation.  The southern one is called the "Murphy Windmill" (1908)....

...  the lovely Garden was a gift to the City from the Netherlands and contains 1000's of tulips and Icelandic poppies - they are usually in bloom throughout March and April, with the weather being so warm lately and so many buds a'poppin' we thought the gardens may be in bloom.....  there was some colour, but not what there will be in the next few weeks.  We'll be revisiting later on and I'll get some full bloom snaps......  
_____________________

That's about it for today sports fans, thanks for stopping by do stop again!!

Take care,
edgar



7 comments:

  1. I love the buds..That is a delightful photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! We have a big tulip festival here in April. I wonder if the tulips will wait?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful ... I once went up inside a windmill, going up was fine it was the coming back down that caused issues lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. The windmill is awesome. I'd love to see it in person. Tulips are my favorite flowers, so I'm looking forward to your next visit when they're in full bloom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know there was a windmill in SF! That is another reason I must make a return visit one day!
    I've always loved tulips. I know that will be a beautiful place in full bloom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely! Yes, please visit again and share your photos of all the spring flowers :)

    ReplyDelete

A Damp Weekend

 Gentle Friends, still stitching away on Sarah, and here's a snaperoo... ... I like all the little bits of "wonky" that are pa...