Thursday, November 17, 2016

More NC.... A Visit to the Outer Banks....

Gentle Friends, I've not been back to North Carolina in over 20 years, and there were lots of things I wanted to do and quite a few old friends I wanted to see.  

There is a lovely couple that lives down on the Crystal Coast at Emerald Ilse that I've known all my life... in fact, Jean almost married my father when they were both in school at East Carolina College... so she could have been my mother.  So I had my rent-a-car and drove myself down to the Isle for a visit for a day or two while Dale was at work.....

... this is the short street they live on, their house is the light blue one on the right side up against the water... and my rent-a-car is the white one in the driveway....

... for lunch, we headed to the Crab Shack down the road in Salter Path, 
the next little town on Emerald Isle...

... and what else could I have but some seafood, fried shrimp, oysters, and some hush puppies....
_____________________

... after lunch, Bernie headed to his part-time job, and Jean and I sat around yakking..... it was getting late in the day and she wanted to take a quick nap, so I headed to the beach..... 
 I first walked down to their pier....

... Emerald Isle is an island that runs east-west, this shot is looking directly north across the sound towards the mainland....it was a gorgeous day!!

... then I headed to the ocean on the other side of the island, just across the road, about a 4-minute walk...this is looking southeast out over the Atlantic...

... the beach was mostly empty, except for some gulls...

... looking southwest...

... looking directly south...

... so I sat at the beach for quite a while just watching the waves and feeling the sun and breeze on my face. I'm not really a beach person by any stretch of the imagination, but sometimes it all sort of comes together and makes for a wonderful beach experience!!
___________________

This is a feral cat that lives at Jean and Bernie's called Lavender... sweet but skittish... Jean and I headed out to the dock as the sun was going down....

... it was a lovely evening and the sun set so nicely on the water...
_____________________

That's about it for today sports fans, thanks for stopping by do stop again!!

Take care,
edgar

4 comments:

  1. What fabulous pictures of the beach, Edgar! I bet it looked totally different during the hurricane back in October. They have a great view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! These are some fantastic photos, Edgar! I precisely agree with your beach person sentiment--right down to the "sometimes it just all comes together" part. Seeing these pics and reading about your nice day visiting makes me feel like I had one of those days, myself.

    I DO really love seagulls, though. Like I have a outsize love for them. I think it is because I never saw any until I was in my twenties. They are such plucky pint-sized predators! I love their fresh white with so many subtle shades of grey coloration. We went to Montauk this summer, and their local gulls were the largest I'd ever seen! Lavender (what a sweet name for a local feral cutie; love that pic with the sunset on her fur!) reminded me of that trip I mentioned, because I bought a sachet of dried lavender from a local lavender farm at the light house while we were there. I'd wanted to visit the farm, but we just did not have time. I was happy to find that sweet handmade in a vintage handkerchief sachet to take home instead of some Chinese-made junk! Although we missed the farm, it was serendipity that a big meteor shower was going on and it was new moon, as well. From the beach, we watched so many of them and saw the Milky Way with the naked eye, too. How great it was to get away from the city for a bit! Thanks for helping me get away,as always, for a few minutes with your travel journals. =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always think the beach looks best without people, it has a quiet beauty. Nice you could catch up with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful place and so great that you could visit with old friends!

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...