Friday, August 11, 2017

A Little Baking

Gentle Friends, over the weekend I got the hankering to bake a cake.... and since pound cake always hits the top of my list I went looking for a recipe and found a "Sour Cream Pecan Pound Cake" that fit the bill..... I read through the comments and tweaked the recipe a bit and come up with this winner!!!  Here's a snap of the finished product...


... I turned it out of the pan a bit too soon and the cooling rack left some odd divets in the top, but it didn't make it taste any less delicious!!  It is a nice dense cake with a super orange/nutty flavor and the glaze is simple and also enhances the overall orange flavor.....  here's the recipe...

Sour Cream Pecan Pound Cake

2 1/2 C AP Flour
1/2 C Ground Pecans
1/2 C Chopped Pecans
1/2 Teas salt
1/4 teas Baking Soda
1C Butter - room temperature
2 1/2 C Sugar
1C Sour Cream
6 Eggs - room temperature
1 Teas Vanilla
1 Tbl Orange Zest

2C Icing Sugar
6 Tbls Orange Juice
1 Teas Vanilla
__________
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees - butter and flour a 10-inch tube pan and sprinkle a 1/2 chopped pecans in the bottom

Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add each egg separately, beating well after each addition
Sift together the dry ingredients.
Into the butter mixture add alternately the sour cream and flour a little at a time
(I did it by the spoon full)
Then add the ground pecans, orange zest and vanilla
(I used a bourbon vanilla and next time I'll just use straight bourbon).
After everything is well-incorporated spoon the batter over the pecans into the prepared pan.
Bake for between 70 and 90 minutes.
I started to check doneness at 75 minutes and it was well done at about 80 minutes.

Let the cake sit in the pan for about 20 minutes then turn out and spoon the glaze over the warm cake.  To make glaze mix the icing sugar, juice and vanilla together and slowly spoon over warm cake.
 I had the cake sitting on a cooling rack on a low bowl so that the glaze as it dripped off the cake gathered into the bowl.  I then reglazed the cake a couple of times with glaze runoff.

It's a super cake an can be tweaked to your taste - I tweaked it from the recipe I found - and will tweak it, even more, the next time I make it!!
________________

Thanks for stopping by do stop again!!

Take care,
edgar

6 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds yummy!
    Enjoy your weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knowing your creativity, it must be delicious.
    The cooling rack made a lovely design on the surface.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks wonderful! Love your blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog and look forward to your posts. I love everything you love. Samplers, antiquing, thrift stores, garage sales and have been trying new recipes. We live in a log home in the mountains and love the simple life. Hi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog and look forward to your postings. Love all the things you do. Crosstitching, garage sales, thrift stores, antique stores and trying new recipes. Live in a log home we built in the mountains. Love living the simple life.

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...