Wednesday, April 11, 2012

A John Ford Movie Post

Gentle Readers and Dear Friends thank you all so very much fro ALL the kind comments and emails about my Cottage SAL piece.  It is a fun piece to stitch and I think will turn out great - much like the LHN Monthly piece I did a year or so ago.
__________

The two movies I wanted to mention today are both directed by that great director John Ford - 1894-1973. Over the years I have really come to enjoy the many movie he made from his enormous career.

The first movie is "Fort Apache" - 1948 - starring John Wayne, Henry Fonda, Shirley Temple, Ward Bond Guy Kibbee and George O'Brien.


here is the movie trailer - 


This was the first of three Calvary films that Ford made - it was followed by "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" - 1949 and then by "Rio Grande" - in 1950.  Wikipedia has a great synopsis of the film HERE.  I totally enjoyed this film and would certainly recommend it to anyone.

The second Ford film I'd like to mention is "Wagon Master" - 1950 - starring Ben Johnson, Joanne Dru, Harry Carey Jr, Ward Bond and Jane Darwell.


I couldn't find a trailer for the film but I did find the opening credits - you can get a real feel for the film from this...


This is a wonderfully shot film and a pretty good story - worth a look.  For a nice synopsis of the film you can click HERE.  This is another Ford film I would highly recommend - you can not go wrong with either film!!
____________

I think I'll wrap it up for today sports fans.  Thanks for dropping by - do come again!

Take care,
edgar

4 comments:

  1. I too have always enjoyed Fort Apache though I think the ending is rather cliched. Funny how my movie watching tends to parallel yours to some degree: the two movies I watched in the past two days were the John Ford/John Wayne collaboration The Quiet Man [also with Ward Bond] and a Henry Fonda/Jimmy Stewart film, The Cheyenne Social Club.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen "Fort Apache" countless times. My husband is a huge John Wayne fan and we own most of his movies (other than the B movies). We just watched "Quiet Man" in March (duh...) and "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" shortly after that. John Ford was a great director, no matter who he was working with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those old westerns, especially those with John Wayne. I used to watch them with Daddy when they came on late(pre-late night talk shows on every channel-I must be really old!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad was the biggest John Wayne fan ever, he had every film he ever made on video and would watch them over and over, they were a real comfort to him during his final months. No one can beat 'the duke' for a good movie star!

    ReplyDelete

“In every end, there is also a beginning.”

 Gentle Friends, I finished the sampler last night and here's a snaperooo... Village Square Sampler from Samplers Remembered   1/8 - 3/2...